OZAUKEE COUNTY

General Info

The earliest people to live on the soil that is now Ozaukee County were the Menomonee, Potawatomi, Sac and Fox Indian tribes of the Algonquin Nation. In 1670 the first Europeans arrived and French traders established trading and military posts in the area. When the first settlers arrived they immediately began developing a community with homes, churches and schools. They also recognized the fertile land of the region and began to harvest crops and other agriculture. Luxemburgers settled in Belgium, Germans in Cedarburg and the Irish in Fredonia and Mequon. Ozaukee County was part of Milwaukee County until 1830, then another split occurred in 1853 when the county lines were officially established. At this time Port Washington was named the county seat, but due to many problems the meetings were moved to Mequon, then West Bend and finally the current county seat of Port Washington. In 1844 the Green Bay Military Road was constructed. It stretched the entire lengths of the county and many of the early settlements established their towns on this road. Today Ozaukee County is home to approximately 82,317 residents.