GRANT COUNTY WI

General Info

Grant County was named in honor of James Grant, a local fur trader who traveled the river. Rolling prairies, ample timber, fertile soil and mineral deposits attracted settlers and early industry was led by agriculture and mining. Residents raised wheat and corn and mined copper, lead and zinc.
Lancaster was selected as the county seat due to its central location and railroad expansion and the advancement of steamboat travel allowed for dramatic growth. The population of Grant County grew from 2,763 in 1838 to 14,016 in 1847 and the area continued to develop. Today Grant County is home to approximately 48,965 residents.